SANDY POINT LIGHTHOUSE
Owned by the Sandy Point Community Recreation Group
Community Breakfast every 1st and 3rd Saturday of every month: Click here for details.
For local tourist information, go to Sandy Point Lighthouse Community Centre .
This attractive lighthouse, which originally was built on a pier, now sits on a crib at the east side of the entrance to Shelburne Harbour. At low tide the tapered wooden tower is accessible across a sand bar. There is a sandy beach, swimming, birding, and a community hall where snacks may be available. Many festivals and activities take place here in summer, especially lobster dinners.
Contributor: Kathy Brown
Source: NSLPS Database, Sandy Point Recreation Group
Photo - © Shirley Heneon
SANDY POINT - Light Details
- Light Type: Cassion Light
- Location: East side of entrance to Shelburne Harbour, originally on a pier
- Standing: This light is still standing.
- Operating: This light is operational
- Automated: All operating lights in Nova Scotia are automated.
- Date Automated: Automated by 1980
- Decommissioned: This light has been decommissioned.
- Began: 1873
- Year Lit: 1873
- Structure Type: Tapered square wood tower, white, concrete base
- Light Characteristic: Fixed Red (1990)
- Tower Height: 044ft feet high.
- Light Height: 047ft feet above water level.
History Items for This Lighthouse
- 1880 - alteration - 1922 - 4th order dioptric lens, fixed red, hand fog horn
- 1930 - hand fog signal in answer to vessels
- 1960 - 1965 - fog signal in operation
- 1965 - 1990 - fog horn discontinued - 1990 - electric lantern
- c. 1999 - decommissioned