Owls Head Lighthouse
A Lost Light
Photo - © Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management, Department of Transport Lighthouse Collection
Owls Head Lighthouse before 1965
Owls Head Lighthouse Locator Map
This lighthouse stood on the head, at the outer entrance to Ship Harbour on the Eastern Shore. The lantern was red on the roof of a wood dwelling painted white. Between 1966 and 1970 it was replaced by a skeleton tower with white slatwork daymarks. We believe that this lighthouse building is now used as a summer cottage.
OWLS HEAD - Light Details
- Location: On head, outer entrance to Ship Harbour
- Standing: This light is still standing.
- Operating: This light is no longer operating.
- Date Automated: Automated by 1970
- Began: 1912
- Year Lit: 1912
- Structure Type: Lantern, red on roof of wood dwelling, white
- Light Characteristic: Occulting White (1922)
- Tower Height: 038ft feet high.
- Light Height: 088ft feet above water level.
History Items for This Lighthouse
- 1922 - 4th order dioptric lens, hand fog horn
- 1960 - hand fog horn in answer to vessels - 1960 - 1962 - fog horn discontinued
- 1966 - 1970 - replaced by skeleton tower between these dates
- 1995 - believe this is tower used as cottage