Coffin Island Lighthouse

Lighthouse Details
44° 02' 01.1'' N    -64° 37' 41.8'' W
  • Home
  • Lighthouse Interractive Map
     This is a lighthouse to visit. Visitor Info44° 02' 01.1'' N    -64° 37' 41.8'' W    Google Map

The Second Coffin Island Lighthouse c. 1933
© Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management, Department of Transport Lighthouse Collection
The Second Coffin Island Lighthouse c. 1933
The first tower stood for over a century. It acquired four, red, horizontal "barber pole" stripes in 1841 and a replacement lantern in 1873. Worries about erosion from the sea led to the introduction of protective wooden cribwork in 1876 which had to be constantly rebuilt in the decades that followed. A different threat destroyed the original tower on June 19, 1913, when lightning ignited a massive fire that also destroyed the keeper's house. A temporary tower served until October 1914 when a new 54 foot white octagonal concrete tower was completed along with a square hip-roofed dwelling for the keeper. The keeper's house did not survive automation in 1962 but the tower still stands.


ACKNOWLEDGEMENT:
Contributor: Dan Conlin