Coffin Island Lighthouse

Lighthouse Details
44° 02' 01.1'' N    -64° 37' 41.8'' W
  • Home
  • Lighthouse Interractive Map
     This is a lighthouse to visit. Visitor Info44° 02' 01.1'' N    -64° 37' 41.8'' W    Google Map

The First Coffin Island Lighthouse c. 1905
© Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management, Department of Transport Lighthouse Collection
The First Coffin Island Lighthouse c. 1905
Near the end of July , 1811, Simeon Perkins, a 75-year-old town official and diarist from Liverpool, Nova Scotia, laid the first stone of the foundation of the Coffin Island Lighthouse. This was the fifth lighthouse built in Nova Scotia. Under the hands of carpenter James Leslie from Shelburne, a wooden tower rose fifty eight feet from the stone foundation. The Nova Scotia House of Assembly granted 500 pounds to build the tower and a dwelling for the keeper and a year later contributed another 500 pounds for equipment, lantern and railing. While provincially funded, the light was locally planned and supervised by a four man commission from Liverpool.

Liverpool in this period was the second most active port in Nova Scotia and enjoying a trade boom thanks to the Embargo Acts which channeled a large amount of US commerce through Nova Scotian ports. An impressive achievement for a growing community, the lighthouse was the only beacon between Sambro at Halifax, and Cape Roseway at Shelburne, which along with the light at Brier Island, made up all the lights in the province (aside from the ruins of the old French lighthouse at Louisbourg, Canada's first).

The lighthouse stood on the south end of the mile-long island, itself only a mile from the nearest mainland village at Beach Meadows. At the north end of the island, a small seasonal fishing harbour stood, and still stands, connected to the light by a road cut through the woods. Known as Bear Island in Perkin's time, it became known as Coffin Island by the 1817s after Peleg Coffin, one of the founding settlers in Liverpool and a large landowner on the island.

It is unclear who was the first keeper until James McLeod's name appears in a petition for unpaid wages in early 1817. Many keepers and their families followed, most from Queens County, and a large number, such as various members of the Wentzel family, were from Beach Meadows, the nearest village on the mainland. Keeper Thomas Eaton's life ended tragically on Oct. 7, 1871 when he drowned, while sailing into Liverpool for supplies. His wife kept the light for the rest of the year until she had to leave for the official replacement keeper.

James McLeod: Coffin Island's First Recorded Lightkeeper A bold and talented man of many adventures was the first recorded keeper of the Coffin Island light. Born in Liverpool in 1772, McLeod was a carpenter and mariner who commanded fishing schooners and trading brigantines, using Coffin Island to dry and pack his fish. Not always successful in economic hard times McLeod had to briefly flee a harsh creditor in 1805. However he served his community as constable and militia sergeant and in wartime went privateering, aboard the large Liverpool privateer ships such as Duke of Kent and Charles Mary Wentworth. While McLeod was serving as prizemaster aboard the Wentworth in 1800, a British frigate HMS La Unity impressed (forcibly recruited) eight of Wentworth's crew, including McLeod. Impressment was often a death sentence thanks to the harsh conditions of battle, accident and disease aboard Royal Navy ships. McLeod soon made his escape, jumping overboard on the coast of Venezuela, apparently judging his chances on the enemy held coastline as better than the odds in the navy. According to Liverpool folklore the frigate's commander was so outraged by this act of defiance that he vowed to catch McLeod and "hang him lie a rabbit" for desertion, to which McLeod replied, "To make rabbit pie, you must catch the rabbit" as he successfully eluded the Royal Navy, eventually working his way back to Liverpool.

Mcleaod was present during the building of the Coffin Island lighthouse, and Perkins noted his talent in cooking fish chowder, He was at some point appointed keeper of Coffin Island where he built up the rough trail to the light into a decent road. A man known for his ingenuity in creating tools and improvised medical devices, McLeod is credited by some Liverpool sources as designing the revolving light mechanism for the Coffin Island light, a very early appearance of this technology on the Canadian coasts.


ACKNOWLEDGEMENT:
Contributor: Dan Conlin