Bon Portage Lighthouse

Lighthouse Details
43° 27' 23.2'' N    -65° 44' 36.2'' W
  • Home
  • Lighthouse Interractive Map
43° 27' 23.2'' N    -65° 44' 36.2'' W    Google Map

The First Bon Portage Lighthouse In Winter
© Courtesy the Richardson Family
The First Bon Portage Lighthouse In Winter
Early History
The Bon Portage Island lighthouse was established in 1874. For 110 years, 16 principal lightkeepers and their families kept the light burning on this small, windswept island. The longest serving keeper was Morrill Richardson, who along with his wife Evelyn, bought the island (except for the lighthouse property) in 1929.
The Richardsons lived on the island for 35 years, raising three children in the small, drafty wooden lighthouse on the island's southern point. They supplemented Morrill's modest government salary by farming the island's rocky soil.
In 1945, Evelyn Richardson's classic book We Keep A Light was published and quickly became a best-seller in Canada. She described her family's life on the island with sensitivity and humour, noting both the disadvantages and joys of life on an isolated island. The Richardsons were greatly appreciative of the island's natural history; Evelyn's writings revealed her respect for the natural environment that shaped her family's life on Bon Portage.

Contributors: Chris Mills, Ann Wickens, Betty June Smith
Sources: Research, We Keep A Light by Evelyn Richardson, and personal knowledge.