Georges Island Lighthouse Front Range Light

Lighthouse Details
44° 38' 26.2'' N    -63° 33' 37.2'' W
  • Home
  • Lighthouse Interractive Map
44° 38' 26.2'' N    -63° 33' 37.2'' W    Google Map

Georges Island Lighthouse Locator Map
Georges Island Lighthouse Locator Map
The island, located in Halifax Harbour, was called "Ile a la Raquette" by the French. It was briefly renamed "Ile d'Enville" when the unfortunate Duc D�Anville he was buried there in 1746, before his body was dug up and moved to Louisbourg. In 1749 when Halifax was founded by Colonel Edward Cornwallis, it was called George Island, after King George II. In 1963, the name was changed to George's Island.


ACKNOWLEDGEMENT:
Contributor: Dale (Matthews Vienot, Kathy Brown
Sources: Sources: James Pritchard, Anatomy of a Naval Disaster; Hugh F. Pullen, The Sea Road to Halifax,
NSLPS Database, Dale Vienoit personal records